Thursday, June 5, 2008

I Made It!

I finally made it to Dublin!!! It was a long and tiring trip but I made it safe and sound. I almost missed my flight from London to Dublin after I fell asleep in the airport, thankfully I woke up just in time to hear "last call for flight 163 to Dublin," I took off running through the airport and made it just in time. I also managed to make to my hostel using the city bus, no thanks to the rude bus driver.

Before I headed off on my trip I had invisioned what Dublin was going to be like and the local culture that I would encounter... after stepping off the plane all my preconceptions changed. I was expecting to encounter a warm and inviting atmosphere, much like in Texas, that was not the case. Dublin reminds me much of New York, a fast paced big city, where everyone is constantly rushing to get everywhere.

Finally after giving up on figuring out the phone system here and wandering into a local deli for dinner, I decided to call it a day. As I walked back to my hostel I began to second guess my abilities to spend 2 months traveling alone through foreign countries and cultures. Then I realized that I've never given up that easily before and it's going to take a lot more than rude individuals and hard rain to keep me from continuing on!!! I've decided not to have any preconceptions on the future places I will be visiting and the individuals I will meet... that way nothing will disappoint me. Thankfully my friend Justus is getting into town today so I'll have a friendly face with me as we go through Ireland!

All in all, I may have doubted myself for a moment but I refuse to give up so easily. I am determined to make it through this summer traveling through Europe alone!!!

4 comments:

Clay said...

Lauren, hang in there! You will be just fine! Tell Justus hello for me!

mlicarione said...

Lauren,
As I always jokingly say; "These are the best years of your life." So embrace the experience. More adventure awaits you.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Yahoo you're there! Have fun and can't wait to see pictures!!!

Unknown said...

dealing with rude bus drivers and heavy rain bits doing stat everyday :-(
you will be fine :-p