Saturday, June 28, 2008

Lagos, Portugal

I spent 2 nights in Lagos, another small beach town on the southern shore of Portugal. It reminded me a lot of Port A. (in Texas), it´s where all the Portuguese go for summer "holiday." The hostel I stayed at was great, we would all go out to dinner every night at 7:30 to the local hot spots. Apparantly chicken piri piri is a local favorite but I never got the chance to try it, hopefully I´ll be able to make it back here.
The train ride into Lagos was one of the more interesting train rides I´ve had on this trip. I had some smelly guy trying to hit on me and kept motioning for me to lay my head into his lap... I finally got up and just stood at the back (it was a packed train so there was no other seats). Unfortunatley there was no direct train to Lagos so I had to change trains in Tunes, Portugal. From the looks of things, trains coming through town where the excitement of the day. All the older locals were just sitting on the benches sipping on beers and watching the crazy travelers wait for their next train.
I spent most of my time in Lagos at the beach or in the hostel trying to escape the intense heat of Protugal. But I couldn´t leave Portugal without trying some crazy sport so I went sea kayaking along the coast. I had a blast, we went into caves and along the cliffs. I´ve been kayaking before but it was nothing like this... I´d do it again in a heart beat though!
I´ll be spending the next couple of days in Sevilla, Spain then I´m heading south to Morocco. This trip is about me testing myself and stepping out of my comfort zone... going to Morocco will definitely be a test for me!

3 comments:

mlicarione said...

Lauren,
You going to Morocco will pull me out of my comfort zone. :)! I know that your dad is watching over you.
Love, Mom

Unknown said...

Maroco is nothing. Wait until you get to Greece :- p

Lauren said...

You watch Betik, I'll take Greece by storm :)