Thursday, July 3, 2008

Goal!!!

It just so happened I timed my trip in Spain just right! On my final night in Sevilla, Spain was going head to head with Germany in the championship game of the Euro Cup and was looking to break their 44 year losing streak. As most everyone knows, football is more than just a sport over here, it's more like a religion and I learned very quickly how "religious" the Spanish are with their team. Walking down the street the day of the game all I could see was red and yellow. Everywhere I looked someone or something was sporting the Spanish Flag, there were flags in store windows, draped over peoples backs, hanging out car windows... it was a sea of Spanish flags! On my way to meet some friends to watch the game I ran into groups of "soccer hooligans," fully painted in red and yellow, screaming and yelling as they marched down the streets, tourist were quickly snapping photos as they watched in aw. It was incredible to see how the whole country gets so immersed into the sport, every restaurant and bar had TVs set up, shops closed early... it was if the whole city shut down for this one game!
Sadly I never made it to the bar to watch the game, stupidly I didn't drink enough water that day and got heat exhaustion (kind of sad a Texan can't handle the heat in Spain) so I spent the evening in bed trying to recuperate. It was fun to hear the game unfolding as I laid in bed, I could hear when Spain scored and I new exactly when they won... the whole city went in an uproar. People were running up and down the streets yelling at the top of their lungs, there was continuous honking well past 2am... it was total ciaos!

No comments: