Thursday, July 3, 2008

Final Days in Spain

I realized spontaneously going to Morocco is not the safest and smartest decision. I also learned that traveling there alone is quite expensive, there are very few hostels in the different towns and they charge you for all the beds in the room. So, Morocco will have to wait til my next trip :)

Instead I came up with the bright idea to take a train to Granada for the day, walk around Granada for a couple hours, then take the night train to Barcelona... it didn't work out as well as I planned. I arrived into Granada to find a tiny little station under construction which ment there was no place to lock up my bags, so I tightened my bag and started walking into town to find a place to eat. I ended up eating at a fancy cafe (not realizing this until I sat down and saw the menu prices), I ordered what I thought was a ham sandwich but ended up being a basket of bread and a plate of pieces of ham. It ended up being a pretty good "sandwich" but definitely not worth the 11 euros I paid for it. After I had made it through about half my meal I noticed one of the waiters holding what looked like a pig leg, he was tilting in a way that made it look like a tap handle. I thought "what a cool tap handle, it looks so authentic" then I realized it was an actual pigs leg and that was where my lunch had come from... good thing I don't have a weak stomach!
After lunch I was going to try and suck it up and walk around with my pack but just as I left the cafe the sky darkened and I could hear thunder in the distance. Go figure, I haven't seen rain since being in Ireland, but since I'm wandering around with my backpack it decides to rain. Thankfully I made it back to the train station just as is started to pour! I spent the next 6hrs sitting in the train station watching people coming and going and listening to a mix of 90's and Spanish music playing in the small snack bar.

I made it into Barcelona early in the morning and spent the day walking around town. I stopped a the beach to take in everything that was happening: a group of guys was showing off their skills on "a mans jungle gym" (as Tim Taylor would call it), a pair of gymnast were trying out their latest moves as people cheered on from the boardwalk, a team of lifeguards were rescuing a swimmer, and of course the women laid about topless... just another day at the beach.
I found a fruit and meat market off the main street and loaded up on fresh fruit, I don't think I've ever tasted fruit this good, too bad I can't take any back to the States with me! I also found a "Pita House" restaurant (for anyone who doesn't know I live at Pita Pit in College Station), I stopped in for lunch today. While it wasn't the same as Pita Pit, is was actually one of the best meals I've had since I left the States!!!

I'm catching the night train tonight for Bern, Switzerland and will be spending the next several days in Switzerland... may be try some hang gliding or some other extreme sport :)

1 comment:

mlicarione said...

Lauren,
Just when I thought I could stop worrying about you -- you decide to hang glide in the Swiss Alps. It is going to take a lot of hair color to cover all the grey hairs you are giving me during this trip!
Love,
Mom