Monday, July 28, 2008

From Amsterdam to Paris to Texas

I've hit that point on my trip where I'm ready to be some place familar, where I can understand everyone and everything around me, and going to dinner is as easy as pulling leftovers out of the refrigerator... I'm ready to be home :) It was my niave hope and dream to stay in Europe til sometime in August but having been traveling for 2 months I realize that's just crazy. I had a great time with my mom in Amsterdam but the goodbyes just added to my longing for Texas, so I booked a flight and will be coming back on July 30th.

My homesickness put a stall on any motivation I had to write but after spending a crazy afternoon with 3 guys from Mississippi at the Champs-Elysees (the end point for the Tour de France), I found my motivation.

Amsterdam was not my favorite city in Europe, it's overcrowded with rainy/cold weather and the locals aren't the nicest individuals I've met, however the majority speak english so it's easy to communicate. My mom and I took a day trip to Rotterdam to see the Red Bull Air Race (a competition in which pilots must manuever in between tall bouys over the river). Rotterdam is quite different from Amsterdam with its tall and modern buildings but the rainy cold weather was just the same as in Amsterdam. Fromers guidebook recommended to rent bikes and ride out to Haarlem (a town about 12km norht of Amsterdam); it was described as a "scenic ride past dikes and windmills." It was far from it! All it was was a path along the train tracks, past industiral plants. We opted for the "scenic" train ride back. The rest of our trip was spent walking around Amsterdam photographing or lying in our hotel room watching Grey's Anatomy.
My mom headed back home as I continued onto Brussels. The EU's (European Union) headquarters are located in Brussels and it's quite evident by the massive numbers of individuals in suites. I didn't do much there, mainly just walked around.

I was slightly hesistant on wheather I would like Paris (where I currently am). I knew it was going to be a huge city with unfriendly people but I have actually loved my time here so far. I arrived midafternoon and made it to my hostel, which is on the outskirts of town and not the easiest place to find but it works. I jumped back on the massive metro system and went back into the city to get some dinner and see some sites. It was the perfect time and I was able to get some great shots fo the Louvre and Notre Dame. I woke up early yesterday in order to get out to the Tour de France. I ended up spending all day on the Champs-Elysees and fullfilled my dream of seeing a stage of the Tour de France. With a day left in Paris I'm doing the tourist thing and getting on a hop on-hop off bus and will cram as many sights in as possible. After that I'll be on my way to Texas.

2 comments:

mlicarione said...

Lauren,
In spite of the rain, cold, non free toilets and rather aloof Dutch people, I had a great time and a lot of laughs with you in Amsterdam. I look forward to our next adventure.
Love,
Mom

Unknown said...

Have a nice trip back home, but what happen to Greece and Turkey ?